State Law In


  • What does state law say?

    No person may purchase, assist, provide, or give a minor alcoholic beverages.

  • What happens if an adult breaks the law?

    Class 1 Misdemeanor.

  • Can adult do anything to rescind the violation?

    Not addressed.

  • Can the adult be sued?

    The court has stated that a third party does not have a cause of action against a vendor of alcoholic beverages. The court further stated that drinking the intoxicant, not furnishing it, is the proximate cause of the injury. The Court believes a decision whether to abrogate such a fundamental rule, for both commercial vendors and social hosts, is the function of the legislative, not judicial, branch of government. Williamson v. The Old Brogue, Inc. (350 SE 2d 621 – Va: Supreme Court 1986).