State Law In


  • What does state law say?

    It is against the law for a person who is present and in control of private property to knowingly allow a person under 21 to consume alcohol on the property.

    Private real property. Note: Does not apply to the owner of rental property, or the agent of an owner of rental property, unless the consumption occurs in the individual unit in which the owner or agent resides.

  • What happens if an adult breaks the law?

    Adults who are charged with this violation face a violation with graduated sentence. A first conviction carries a mandatory minimum fine of $350. Second and subsequent convictions carry a mandatory minimum fine of $1,000.

  • Can adult do anything to rescind the violation?

    Not addressed.

  • Can the adult be sued?

    A social host is only liable for damages caused by intoxicated patrons or guests, if the plaintiff proves by clear and convincing evidence that: the social host served or provided alcoholic beverages to the guest while he or she was visibly intoxicated; and the plaintiff did not substantially contribute to the intoxication of the guest.

  • Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

    Not specified.