State Law In

New Jersey

  • What does state law say?

    Under New Jersey state law, anyone who purposely or knowingly offers, serves or makes alcohol available to an underage person or entices or encourages that person to drink alcohol is a disorderly person. It is also violation of the law for a host to make their property available (including leaving the property in care of another person) for the consumption of alcohol by an underage person. There is an exception in the law for parents or guardians who provide alcohol to their child.

    Settings covered include property that the host owns, leases or manages.

  • What happens if an adult breaks the law?

    Adults who are charged with this violation face a disorderly persons offense.

  • Can adult do anything to rescind the violation?

    The law does not apply to parents or legal guardians of the minor, or if the person providing the alcoholic beverages does so in the presence and with the permission of legal guardians or parents.

  • Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

    Hosts may have to pay compensation to victims, and pay punitive damages up to $350,000, based on the evidence