State Law In


  • What does state law say?

    Current state criminal statutes do not address social hosting. However, some communities may have local ordinances on social hosting that can include fines and other penalties.

  • Can the adult be sued?

    Any person who sustains injury or property damage, or the estate of any person killed, as a result of the negligence of an intoxicated minor can sue a social host who allowed the minor to consume alcohol in the host’s home or on property under his or her control. A “social host” is defined as a person who knowingly allows consumption of alcoholic liquor in his or her home or on property under his or her control by one or more minors. Exceptions are made for a parent providing alcoholic liquor to only his or her minor child and to no other minors. There is also an exception for religious organizations that dispense alcohol as part of a bonafide religious rite, ritual, or ceremony.

  • Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

    Not specified. Law does state that damages may be awarded for all actual damages, including damages for wrongful death.