State Law In


  • What does state law say?

    It is a violation of the law for a host to knowingly allow a party to take place or continue where an underage person obtains, possesses or consumes an alcoholic beverage.

    Private premises (e.g., privately owned land) or private residence (the place where a person actually lives or has his or her home).

  • What happens if an adult breaks the law?

    Adults who are charged with this violation face imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 90 days or by a fine of $1,000, or both. This is a misdemeanor.

  • Can adult do anything to rescind the violation?

    Not addressed.

  • Can the adult be sued?

    Law provides for immunity if alcohol is served to a person legally permitted to drink. Assumes right to action for a person injured or who suffers by an intoxicated person under 21 years of age against the person who served the intoxicating beverage.

  • Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

    Not specified.