State Law In


  • What does state law say?

    Current state criminal statutes do not address social hosting. However, some communities may have local ordinances on social hosting that can include fines and other penalties.

  • Can the adult be sued?

    A person, or spouse, child, parent, guardian, employer of a person, who is injured or suffers due to an intoxicated person under 21 years of age has a right of action against a person who is 21 years or older who: (1) had control over the premises and, being in a reasonable position to prevent the consumption of alcoholic beverages by that person, knowingly or recklessly permitted that consumption and the consumption caused the intoxication of that person; or (2) sold, bartered, furnished or gave to, or purchased for a person under the age of 21 years alcoholic beverages that caused the intoxication of that person.

  • Can adult do anything to rescind the violation?

    The law does not apply if the activities are religious in nature, or if the persons involved are members of the same immediate family.

  • Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

    Not specified. The law does state that a person has a right of action for all damages sustained.