State Law In


  • What does state law say?

    For a parent or guardian, it is a violation of the law to knowingly permit, authorize, or enable, the consumption of alcohol by underage invitees. For any person, they must knowingly permit the consumption of alcohol by underage person.

    For parent or guardian, a residence. For any person, residence with the assumption for rental property that the property is only occupied by the tenant or lessee. The law also makes it a Class A misdemeanor for any person to rent a hotel or motel room with the purpose to use the room for the consumption of alcoholic liquor by persons under the age of 21 years.

  • What happens if an adult breaks the law?

    Adults who are charged with this violation face a Class A misdemeanor including, but not being limited to a fine of not less than $500. For a parent or guardian, if a violation directly or indirectly results in great bodily harm or death to any person, the violation would be a Class 4 felony.

  • Can adult do anything to rescind the violation?

    Not addressed.

  • Can the adult be sued?

    A person who willfully supplies (sells, gives or delivers) alcoholic liquor or illegal drugs to a person under 18 years of age or who willfully permits consumption of alcoholic liquor or illegal drugs on non-residential premises owned or controlled by the person over the age of 18 will be liable for death or injuries, both physical and property, caused by the impairment of the person under 18.

  • Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

    Limits are not specified. The law does specify that the person has a right to recover damages for: economic damages; non-economic damages; reasonable attorneys’ fees; cost of suit; and punitive damages.