State Law In


  • What does state law say?

    It is a violation of state law if the social host knows that an underage individual is in the possession of an alcoholic beverage or drug, and the host does not take reasonable action to prevent the possession or consumption of the alcoholic beverage or drug.

    DEFINITIONS WITHIN THE LAW: “Open house party” means a social gathering at a residence; “Person” means an individual 18 years of age or older.

    SETTINGS COVERED: Home, apartment, condominium, or other dwelling unit

  • What happens if an adult breaks the law?

    Adults who are charged with this violation face a maximum fine of $500 and/or a maximum sentence of 60 days imprisonment. This is a misdemeanor of the 2nd Degree.

  • Can adult do anything to rescind the violation?

    The violation may be rescinded if the person takes reasonable action to prevent the possession or consumption of an alcholic beverage or drug by an underage individual.

  • Can the adult be sued?

    A person who willfully and unlawfully sells or furnishes alcoholic beverages to a person who is not of lawful drinking age or who knowingly serves a person habitually addicted to the use of any or all alcoholic beverages may become liable for injury or damage caused by or resulting from intoxication

  • Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

    Not specified.