State Law In


  • What does state law say?

    It is against the law to knowingly permits any minor to possess alcoholic liquor.

    Person means natural person including partners but shall not include corporations, limited liability companies, joint stock companies or other associations of natural persons.

    Setting covered include dwelling units or private property.

  • What happens if an adult breaks the law?

    Class A misdemeanor.

  • Can adult do anything to rescind the violation?

    A host may rescind the violation if they made reasonable efforts to halt possession of alcohol by minors. Reasonable efforts could include: talking to to the minor; taking away the alcohol; contacting the minor’s parents; or contacting the police.

  • Can the adult be sued?

    The State of Connecticut has not enacted a law regarding civil penalties for social hosting. In the absence of a statute, the Supreme Court found that, in the case of minors, a social host is liable to the minor served or to innocent third parties injured the damage caused is related to the host serving alcohol.