TRI Science Addiction The Partnership at

Send a Link to this Page Via Email

State Law In


What does state law say?

Current state criminal statutes do not address social hosting.  However, some communities may have local ordinances on social hosting that can include fines and other penalties.

Can the adult be sued?

An adult (21 or older) may be sued for damages if they knowingly serve, provide, or allow alcohol to be served to a minor on premises they own or lease. An exception exists if the adult is the minor’s parent, guardian, or spouse; or the adult has been granted custody of the minor by a court.

Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

Not specified.

Share This Page

Select Another State?

Are there local laws that I should be aware of?

It is possible. Check with your local municipality since there are some communities that enact additional local ordinances which can include fines and other penalties.