TRI Science Addiction The Partnership at

Send a Link to this Page Via Email

State Law In


What does state law say?

Current state criminal statutes do not address social hosting.  However, some communities may have local ordinances on social hosting that can include fines and other penalties.

Can the adult be sued?

A person who knowingly serves, sells or otherwise provides alcohol to an underage person; or knowingly allows an underage person to consume an alcohol in a place or vehicle he or she owns or controls, can be sued for any damages caused by the underage person.

Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

Liability limits are not specified. The law does state that a person may recover actual damages, attorney’s fees and costs and any punitive damages.

Share This Page

Select Another State?

Are there local laws that I should be aware of?

It is possible. Check with your local municipality since there are some communities that enact additional local ordinances which can include fines and other penalties.