TRI Science Addiction The Partnership at

Send a Link to this Page Via Email

State Law In


What does state law say?

Current state criminal statutes do not address social hosting.  However, some communities may have local ordinances on social hosting that can include fines and other penalties.

Can the adult be sued?

State law allows for civil liability when the consumer was under the legal age and the person who provided the alcohol knew or should have known the consumer was under age.

Are there liability limits to the amount of money the adult can be sued for?

Maximum for non-economic damages is $250,000. Maximum for punitive damages is $250,000.

Share This Page

Select Another State?

Are there local laws that I should be aware of?

It is possible. Check with your local municipality since there are some communities that enact additional local ordinances which can include fines and other penalties.